Between visionary library directors and hands-on, frontline personnel stand middle managers who must oversee departments, buildings, projects, and employees. These folks juggle many hats and must reconcile the conflicting, day-to-day needs of library employees, administrators, patrons, facilities staff, and others. Middle managers are pragmatists who keep employees engaged, patrons well served, and the library doors open. This webinar aims to:
- help participants who have current responsibilities in middle management feel more confident and competent in decision making.
- help participants who are interested in middle management gain insight into the challenges and strategies in middle-management decision making.
- Identify one’s personal strengths in middle management.
- Learn how to avoid micromanagement without losing decision-making oversight.
- Learn how to improve lateral relationships with middle-manager colleagues.
- Balance task-level duties with ”big picture” vision.
Pat Wagner has been a trainer and consultant for special and academic libraries since 1978 and has facilitated in-person and online continuing education programs for the Medical Library Association and its chapters and affiliates since 2000. She is known for her good-humored and practical programs regarding personnel, management, leadership, marketing, strategic planning, and career development.
- Length: 1.5 hour recorded webinar
- Technical information: You will have immediate access to the recording and the participant's manual after registration.
- Register, participate, and earn 1.5 MLA continuing education (CE) contact hours and 1.5 Illinois CNE contact hours.
Site License Information