Go to MLA ’20 to register!
Saturday, May 16, 8:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
Cost: $265 (nonmember: $490)
Attendance maximum: 30
Update your teaching approaches to incorporate techniques increasingly used by Health Sciences Faculty. Learn how to incorporate team-based learning, real world cases, and critical pedagogy into your classes.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand and compare team-based learning and case-based learning
- Describe active learning methods.
- Explain critical pedagogy
- Discuss how to use these techniques in a one-shot class.
- Develop cases to use in teaching.
* Note: Attendees are required to bring a laptop computer or other device with WiFi capability to participate in interactive activities.
Margaret Henderson is Health Sciences Librarian, and chair of the research data management (RDM) team, at San Diego State University. She presented her research on the development of team-based, case-based, critical pedagogy for one-shot classes at MLA and EAHIL in 2019. Margaret is the author of Data Management: A Practical Guide for Librarians (Rowman & Littlefield, 2016). She was a teacher, mentor, and content creator for the Biomedical and Health Research Data Management Training for Librarians offered by the National Training Center of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine. She was the RDM director at Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries, and has had over 30 years experience as a biomedical librarian. Margaret has given lectures and written papers about data and biomedical sciences librarianship and the future of the field. When she isn’t working in librarianship, Margaret is teaching and creating embroidery.
MLA CE Credits: 4