Learn the who, what, where, why, and how of searching for preprints. Preprints are an increasingly popular means of disseminating research reports, but they not all of equal value or appropriate for every project. In this webinar, you’ll gain skills in identifying the value and weakness of including preprints in a search and in developing a search plan that includes preprints. You’ll participate in reviewing examples of published research projects that have included selected preprints in a search. The webinar will spotlight preprint sources as a key research source for COVID-19 information. #mlaGreyLit
At the end of the webinar, participants will be able to:
- Explain what a preprint is and the role of preprints in research dissemination
- Assess the weakness and strengths of preprints as an information source
- Know the rationale for including or excluding preprint sources in a search
- Selecting preprint sources to include in a search
- Be able to provide guidance to library users/information users on the value and weakness of preprints
Librarians and information professionals who provide or want to provide guidance on searching for preprint sources or who are interested in learning more about preprints. Prior searching experience is helpful, but not required.
Sarah Bonato is the lead reference services and research services librarian at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto, ON. She is a co-author of more than 10 systematic reviews/guidelines and the author of Searching the Grey Literature: A Handbook for Searching Reports, Working Papers, and Other Unpublished Research.
- Length: 1.5 hour webinar
- Date/Time: December 10, 1:00pm–2:30pm, Central Time
- Technical information: After you have registered, go to My Learning in MEDLIB-ED to access the live webinar, resources, evaluation, and certificate.
- Register, participate, and earn 1.5 MLA continuing education (CE) contact hours.
**This is the third of the Grey (Literature) Matters Webinars. Purchase the two previous recorded webinars + a 3rd Grey literature webinar for the price of two webinars. Does not include registration to
Grey (Literature) Matters: Searching for Preprint Sources.