This one-hour webinar will provide an overview of the history and current state of direct-to-consumer (DTC) genetic testing, which has become extremely popular in recent years. The differences between ancestry and health testing will be explored. The veracity of claims commonly made by testing companies will be assessed, and concerns and challenges surrounding these tests will be examined. Attendees will learn where to go to find essential background information about genetics needed to understand DTC tests and how to locate more advanced professional assistance. This class can also provide a template for information professionals looking to offer similar programs at their own libraries.
- Describe the general history and current technological state of DTC genetic testing.
- Assess the veracity of claims commonly made by testing companies.
- Recognize specific NLM and other resources for providing basic genetics information
- Discuss practical and ethical challenges surrounding DTC testing.
- Explore essential background information about genetics and genetic testing.
- Explore resources for professional assistance.
- Introduction NNLM
- Resource demonstrations and chat questions
- Polling throughout
MLA CE Credit: 1