Kari L. Jordan and Heidi Hernandez Gatty will take you on an exploration of the role of personal values in open science. They will lead you through an exercise to identify your values through a culturally relevant lens and guide you in using your personal values to advocate for equity in open science.
Important: Please view Open Science: Race, Equity, and Open Science before you join us for this session.
By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- Define equity in open science
- Explain how personal values drive attitudes and actions related to equity in open science
- Explain the importance of identifying one's personal values
- Develop personal values by looking through a culturally relevant lens
- Identify opportunities to advocate for equity in open science
All health information professionals and others with an interest in Open Science and Open Data.
Dr. Kari L. Jordan, Executive Director of The Carpentries.
Dr. Kari L. Jordan assumed leadership of the Carpentries in 2020. Prior to becoming Executive Director, Dr. Jordan held the role of Senior Director of Equity and Assessment where she guided The Carpentries through development of an Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility Roadmap and was the liaison to the Code of Conduct Committee. Before this, she was the Director of Assessment and Community Equity where she streamlined The Carpentries assessment strategy and expanded our mentoring program. The Carpentries’ vision is to be the leading inclusive community teaching data and coding skills. The Carpentries project comprises the Software Carpentry, Data Carpentry, and Library Carpentry communities of Instructors, Trainers, Maintainers, helpers, and supporters who share a mission to teach foundational computational and data science skills to researchers.
Heidi Hernandez Gatty, Vice President of Client Services, Community Initiatives.
Heidi Hernandez Gatty is a leading expert on fiscal sponsorship and nonprofit infrastructure. At Community Initiatives, she applies her years of experience as a thought partner who helps social change leaders manifest their vision into reality. Her eight years at Tides and work as the Director of Acceleration Services at Citizen Engagement Lab allowed her to support leaders in strategic planning, organizational and business development, event production, and community engagement. Community Initiatives acts as a thought-partner and provides professional services to nonprofit startups, established initiatives, networks, and collaborations. We sponsor projects for the benefit of communities in service to social change.
Visit Free Open Science Sessions from the MLA ‘20 vConference to see all the open science offerings available in February.
- Length: 1 hour webinar
- Date/Time: Tuesday, February 16, 2:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m., central time
- Technical information: After you have registered, go to My Learning in MEDLIB-ED to access the live webinar, resources, evaluation, and certificate.
- Register, participate, and earn 1.0 MLA continuing education (CE) contact hours.