Becoming a successful health information professional is all about how you present yourself in the workplace, especially in your interactions with supervisors, coworkers, colleagues, and patrons. Your self-presentation is your brand. You build your brand by treating everyone with whom you meet and work with respect, delivering expert, non-biased service, responding to inquiries in a timely manner and, yes, dressing professionally.
Shannon Jones, a health sciences library director with over 20 years of experience and a member of the MLA board of directors, will set you on the path.
The course includes:
- A self-paced scenario that places you in a realistic situation in which you must acquire and use skills to solve a problem or complete a task
- Self-assessment of skills, pre and post
- Downloadable tips and resources
- An individual development plan form and instructions
After you have completed the course, you will be able to:
- Create an elevator pitch that describes your role and expertise and promotes your library's services
- Formulate an Individual Development Plan
- Display professionalism in the workplace
- Identify strategies to build and cultivate relationships in the workplace
Medical librarians, other health information professionals, and library students.
MLA CE Credits 1.5
Subject Matter Expert
Shannon D. Jones’ career in libraries spans 20 years. She is currently the Director of Libraries for the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. In this role, Shannon assumes leadership for all aspects of the library, including strategic planning, budgeting, technology integration, facility management, and personnel administration. Shannon received her MLS from North Carolina Central University (NCCU) and also holds a BA in English from North Carolina State University, an MIS from NCCU, and an M.Ed. in Adult Learning from VCU. Shannon is an active member of the American Library Association and the Medical Library Association, where she is currently serving on the Board of Directors.
The team that created Building Your Brand: Becoming a Successful Health Information Professional
Shannon D. Jones, AHIP, Subject Matter Expert
Jeanne Bernui, Instructional Designer
Amy Lyons, MLA Health Information Professionalism Curriculum Committee Representative
Deb Cavanaugh, MLA Director, Professional Development
Barry Grant, MLA Director, Education
- Member: $85
- Student Member: $43
- Emeritus, Retired, Unemployed and Lower Dues: $43
- Nonmember: $115