The Animal and Veterinary Information Specialists (AVIS) Caucus, made up of the former Veterinary Medical Libraries Section and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee Special Interest Group, invite MLA members to learn about animal alternatives searching from experts at the National Agricultural Library's Animal Welfare Information Center (AWIC).
The Animal Welfare Information Center (AWIC) is part of the USDA’s National Agricultural Library (NAL). The focus of AWIC’s information products and services is to provide the regulated community with employee training and to promote the humane care and use of animals by providing information on alternatives (improved methods of animal experimentation which could reduce or replace animal use or minimize pain and distress to animals). One aspect of these trainings includes how to conduct a thorough alternative literature search.
The objectives of this training are:
- A brief overview of the Animal Welfare Act (AWA) and its mandate to consider alternatives;
- Review the 3Rs Alternatives concept;
- Discuss 3Rs databases and other 3Rs (Replacement, Reduction, Refinement) web resources;
- Review how to identify potential alternatives in an animal use protocol; and
- Run through a live alternative search demonstration
Date: April 13, 2021
Time: 2:00pm – 4:00pm EST
MLA CE Credit: 2