In this 90 minute webinar you will learn the difference between data and statistics, key features and use of health statistics, steps to finding health statistics, and sources of health statistics at the local, state and national level. The importance and relevance of health statistics in various contexts will be discussed. You will have the opportunity to become familiar with the features and scope of several statistics resources through the use of examples.
- Recognize the differences between data, data sets, and statistics.
- Understand the 4-step process used to locate relevant health statistics for a particular circumstance or issue.
- Identify online resources that provide data sets and statistics at the local, state and national level
Introduction (5 minutes)
Statistics Overview (10 minutes)
- Data vs. Statistics
- Key Features of Health Statistics
- Uses of Health Statistics
Steps to Finding Health Statistics and Guided Exercise Part 1 (5 minutes)
Sources of Health Statistics (40 minutes)
- Portals: National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), MedlinePlus.gov
- National: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), State Health Facts
- Local: US Census, County Health Rankings, City Health Dashboard, Rural Health Information Hub
Guided Exercise Part 2 (15 minutes)
Share back/Wrap Up/Questions (15 minutes)
MLA CE Credits: 1.5