Basic Statistics for Research Appraisal (Recording)
You don’t need to take years of statistics to gain a significant amount of useful knowledge. With a basic understanding of the core concepts and principles of statistics, you’ll gain the confidence to tackle a wide range of stats questions. You’ll also be able to assess the quality and value of research, locate specific methodological papers, and communicate research conclusions to users.
This webinar takes a gentle approach to teaching you about study design, probability, sampling, distributions, generalizability, hypothesis testing, and other basic concepts in statistics.
By the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- List study designs and identify when designs are mislabeled
- Define basic statistical concepts like probability, sampling, and generalizability
- Interpret test results by assessing p-value, confidence intervals, and standard deviation
- Identify potential biases in study design and data analysis
Librarians interested in learning more about study design, research methodology, and interpretation of statistical analyses. No prior knowledge necessary.
Shanda Hunt is the Public Health Library Liaison & Data Curation Specialist at the University of Minnesota (UMN) for the last four years. Prior to that, she was a research coordinator in the Division of Epidemiology & Community Health and the Program in Human Sexuality where she co-created, implemented, and managed research studies on alcohol policy and refugee sexual health. Shanda has taken two graduate-level statistics courses, and has delivered workshops to her UMN peers about statistics and quantitative research.
- Length: 1.5 hour recorded webinar
- Technical information: After you have registered, go to My Learning in MEDLIB-ED to access the live webinar, resources, evaluation, and certificate.
- Register, participate, and earn 1.5 MLA continuing education (CE) contact hours and 1.5 Illinois CNE contact hours.
Site License Information
To offer this webinar to a group, consider a site license:
Are you interested in the entire series...
Basic Statistics Webinar Series
The webinar series special offer includes Basic Statistics for Research Appraisal, Basic Statistics for Research Design and the bonus recorded webinar, Getting Started with Statistics for Librarians.