This class is designed for anyone interested in providing consumer health information to their community, with a focus on libraries and information centers. The goal of this class is to allows learners to earn up to 5 continuing education credit hours towards the Level 1 Consumer Health Information Specialization (CHIS) from the Medical Library Association. 5 separate modules cover each Level 1 CHIS competency:
- Know the Community
- Know the Health Consumer
- Knowledge of Subject Matter and Resources
- Evaluation of Health Information
- Communication, Reference, and Instruction
Modules can be completed in any order.
Each Module takes about 1 hour to complete and includes a reading and a knowledge check.
This class is provided entirely online and self-paced through the Moodle learning management system.
Resource URL: https://nnlm.gov/chis-on-demand (Opens June 1, 2022)
Through books and knowledge checks, learners will
- Learn about the Consumer Health Information Specialization
- Identify resources to identify characteristics of their community
- Identify issues, barriers and the library's role in providing medical information to health consumers
- Identify MedlinePlus, PubMed, Clinical Trials and other NLM resources as sources for health information
- List simple criteria to evaluate online health information
- List 3 communication techniques and 2 ways to protect patron privacy during a health reference interview.
Module 3: Knowledge of Subject Matter and Resources
By reading a book, taking a quiz, and completing a poll you will be able to...
- Identify MedlinePlus as a resource for health topics, drug, and genetics information written in plain language for general audiences in English and Spanish.
- Identify PubMed as a database of citations to biomedical journal articles.
- Identify ClnicalTrials.gov as a registry of clinical studies and repository of results.
- Identify DailyMed, MedlinePlus, and PubChem as resources for drug and chemical information
- List 3 or more training options where you could learn more about MedlinePlus, PubMed, ClinicalTrials.gov, or drug resources from NLM
- Poll - What will do you next?
MLA CE Credits: 1