Topic Searching in PubMed: Using the Medical Subject Headings (On Demand)*
For more information or to schedule this course, please contact Katherine Majewski at NLMTrainers@nih.gov.
PubMed maps your search terms to Medical Subject Headings (MeSH®) to augment your search with additional terms from the vocabulary that NLM uses to describe articles in MEDLINE®/PubMed. Take this course to better understand how PubMed uses MeSH and how you can take control of your PubMed topic searches for better precision or recall.
Resource URL: https://www.nnlm.gov/
This course is an approved elective for Level I of the Systematic Review Services Specialization.
By the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Recognize that MeSH is automatically included in PubMed searches and demonstrate how it improves your search results.
- Identify when you need to go beyond the automated features of PubMed in your topic searches (and when you do not).
- Properly document PubMed searches for formal queries.
- Explore MeSH and build PubMed searches using the MeSH Database.
- Accommodate non-indexed records in comprehensive searches.
- Apply distinct techniques for special PubMed searches.
Module 00: PubMed Basics
Module 01: Foundations of MeSH
Module 02: Refining your Search
Module 03: Exploring MeSH
Module 04: Techniques for Special Queries
MLA CE Credits: 2