This specialized class will help improve your effectiveness in searching PubMed and related NLM and NIH databases for literature information on chemicals, drugs and genetics. The course begins with searching PubMed for drug information with MeSH terms, Supplementary Concept Records (SCR), and Pharmacologic Actions (PA). Additional topics include searching related databases for drug information, chemicals and with chemical nomenclature, and literature related to genetics and genomics. This course assumes a strong working knowledge of PubMed including an understanding of automatic term mapping, the importance of reviewing the Details box after searches, and using the Advanced search page and the MeSH database.
By the end of this class, attendees will be able to:
- Understand the difference between MeSH terms, subheadings, Pharmacologic Actions, and Supplementary Concept Records
- Experience and understand when to use specific National Library of Medicine databases to search for chemical and drug information and literature
- Work with literature resources related to genetic diseases and research
- Identify related literature resources for additional learning
- This online course is divided into the following modules:
Module 1: MeSH Drug Connections (MeSH, Pharmacologic Actions, Supplementary Concept Records, Subheadings)
Module 2: Searching for Drug Information (TOXNET, ClinicalTrials.gov, evidence-based drug resources, labels databases)
Module 3: Chemical Complications (PubMed searching, TOXNET chemical databases, PubChem Compound, ChemIDplus)
Module 4: Genetics Literature (NCBI Gene database, Genetics Home Reference, genetic diseases databases)
- Participants need only to have access to a computer with Internet capability.
MLA CE Credits: 6