Technical services departments are vital to developing, maintaining, and providing access to library collections but what exactly they do is often obscure to outsiders. Anne Morgan and Marlena Rose, two experienced technical services librarians, take you behind the scenes to provide you with straightforward knowledge that will enable you to work effectively with technical services colleagues and better serve your patrons.
Through software demos, case studies, in-session tasks, discussion, and a presentation, you’ll learn:
- How electronic resource management systems make resources discoverable
- How resources are organized and managed for access and discovery
- How MARC (MAchine Readable Cataloging) records and other metadata standards and applications are used to make resources discoverable
- Technical services librarian search strategies
- The latest on emerging areas and trends in resource descriptions, such as DEI metadata initiatives
You’ll leave the webinar able to use this knowledge to communicate effectively with technical services staff, search more effectively, and better serve your patrons.
By the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
Communicate clearly and effectively with technical services staff
Explain MARC records, metadata standards, and library resource management applications
Use knowledge of technical services operations to better help patrons find what they need
Search more effectively by using Technical Services librarian strategies
Health sciences librarians and other information professionals who work with technical services staff.
Anne Morgan, AHIP, is the Technical Services Librarian at A.T. Still Memorial Library. She does original and copy cataloging, collection development, and physical processing of library materials.
Marlena Rose, AHIP, is the Assistant Director of Collections & Historical Services at East Carolina University’s Laupus Health Sciences Library. She supervises technical services staff and applies metadata to books, electronic resources, and historical materials and loves to share with others how to make resources discoverable and accessible.
- Length: 1.5 hour recorded webinar
- Technical information: After you have registered, go to My Learning in MEDLIB-ED to access the live webinar, resources, evaluation, and certificate.
- Register, participate, and earn 1.5 MLA continuing education (CE) contact hours.
Site License Information